(above) View of Greenwich House Pottery entrance, 1944, photographer is Risdon Tillery (courtesy of Library of Congress)
Before Janeway had a proper studio in mid-1943, she relied on others’ kilns to fire her tiles, including that of Greenwich House Pottery then under the direction of Gertrude Rieschke.
William Soini, pottery instructor there when she started, may have instructed her in wheel-thrown wares. Pat Clark (Stetson) seems to have helped her while GHP director in 1945 and perhaps as a Janeway studio painter as well. Ceramicist Anne Wright (Meerkerk), friend of Janeway in this period, also fired wares there and assisted Pat Clark in 1945.
There is one Janeway tile in the Greenwich House Pottery study collection. It is 6 inches square, framed and depicts a bird. It originates from Janeway’s collection and was presented to GHP after Janeway’s death in 1989.